Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Science Snippet, Science fact and writing

I'm going to try to continue with my posting of short science snippets. If anybody gets tired of them or wants something explained please let me know. I'm also working on my writing. I'm trying to convince myself to teach for a short while. I haven't tried it before and I've had many people tell me it's something I should do. I can't know until I try it. We'll see what happens.

What is meant by low pressure and high pressure when it is talked about during a weather report?

Our atmosphere goes through various cycles of low and high pressure. When a weather reporter talks about high and low pressures they are usually in relation to a pressure front coming through the area. A high pressure front usually brings good and warming weather while a low pressure front usually brings cooler and often stormy weather. As the earth turns and weather patterns change winds change and bring a change in local atmospheric pressure. These are often associated with what is termed the jet stream. The jet stream is a band of high atmospheric winds that circumnavigate the earth and to a great extent determine local weather patterns.

Until later

No comments:

Post a Comment